Incorporated on December 15, 1821, exactly three years to the day after the formation of Gwinnett County, Lawrenceville is the county seat and second oldest city in Greater Atlanta. She is named in honor of Captain James Lawrence, the War of 1812 naval commander who gave his crew one of American history's most memorable fighting orders: "Tell the men to fire faster and not to give up the ship; fight her till she sinks!"
Though Commander Lawrence died from battle wounds a few days later, the City of Lawrenceville thrived. From the first hearty stock of settlers who lived off the land, citizens of Lawrenceville have long taken pride in establishing and fashioning a strong, viable community.
Chosen because of several nearby springs, Lawrenceville's original town square remains the heart of downtown. With the inception of the first courthouse, which was built in 1824, and the layout of adjacent property, the farming community took shape and expanded. Locals came to town to buy all sorts of dry goods, or sell produce and livestock. A mixed-use retail and business complex downtown, Honest Alley, commemorates the place where mule buyers and sellers gathered to trade in good faith.
The Romanesque-style building that stands in its place was designed by Boston architect E.G. Lin. A small balcony on the front corner, used to summon jurors from the square, is a reminder that this was the official courthouse until the Gwinnett Justice Center's completion in 1988.
Atlanta Airport trips in a Town car L that holds three for $120 that takes min one hour